Monday, August 24, 2026

POTA at a New Park

Everyone had something to do this morning except me (well..mowing, but that doesn't count), so I grabbed my kit and headed out.

Rake's Creek WMA is not too far from home. I discovered it was not on the POTA list, so several days ago I contacted the NE park map manager and asked him to add it. Sweet. Today I went there while everyone else in the house was doing their thing.

Here's the kit: Antenna bag with arborist bag and line, wire spools, etc. Home made power box with LiFePo4 batteries (about 16AH for small trips), USB and power poles. One set of power poles is straight battery voltage, the other set is variable 5-36V. Third box is 3 radios: Pebble HF 20M all mode QRP, QMX+ multi-band, multi-mode QRP, a QRP antenna tuner, and the trusty Xiegu G-90, 20W HF-6 meter all mode. The luggage is all Harbor Freight. Free toolbag, large and small ammo cans.

The park is a quiet little Wildlife Management Area that I had only recently discovered while looking at a map of Nebraska public lands. It's not the closest, but it is very peaceful. The closest POTA spot to me is right on the train tracks.


First I tried the Pebble HF with the Just OK antenna. (Didn't take pics doh!) It was not going too hot, so I got out the 66 foot whar. (A whar is a long thread of metal, usually copper, available in varying thicknesses...you know what I'm talkin' about.) I walked it out down the access road and when I got to the end of the spool, I chucked my arborist bag up over a branch and pulled up that end of the antenna.
Back at the truck I attached it to a 4:1 balun and hooked up the counterpoise from the "Just OK." Connecting the coax to the balun, "it was at this point that I realized, I screwed up." Lol I had an adapter to connect the G90 to the Just-OK, BNC f to pl259, but i did not bring an adapter to connect the Pebble to this coax, so239 to BNC m.
Doh!
So the Pebble and the QMX+ both had to go back into the box. I was kinda bummed because I really wanted to use them, but was glad I brought 3 radios! Just goes to prove the old adage: Two is one and one is none.



So I fired up the G90. 20 meters was roaring, the Ohio QSO Party was rocking the band. I was able to find a pigeon hole and spotted myself and started calling CQ. Logging Q's and having fun, I thought to myself "oh hey, Utah! That's great!" The "North Carolina! Wow!" Then Vermont! After the signal report exchange, I asked the ham from VT "please cfm on QRZ. VT is my last for WAS." He said "Will do!" What a great activation.

And then...ALASKA! Holy cow, I'm sitting in a park, in my truck, running 20 watts, and I'm reaching Alaska! He gave me a 4-1-9, but the important numbers are the 4 and the 9. Strength, the middle number, doesn't matter if readability, the first, is 4 or 5.

After a few more, 36 total contacts, I was ready to eat something and wrap it up, so I packed everything up and departed for home.

Once back, I headed to my computer to upload the logs. I was excited to be the first to activate this new park. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that two hams had already beat me to it! ARGH! I just asked for this place to be put on the map! How did they know?? Oh well, I hope they had as good a time as I did.
I don't do it as much as I'd like, but POTA is a lot of fun! There's just something about operating portable, outside.
Thanks to all the hunters that worked me today. It wouldn't be any fun without you.
Yes, when I got home, I did the mowing. 🙄
Lol
73!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Log